Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Daily Shoot 9/15/10

The Daily Shoot for today involves the use of "hard" shadows to emphasize texture and edges. While I'm still relatively unclear on what exactly they mean by "hard shadows," I feel as though I managed to pull it off somewhat. This is the Fine Arts Center at UMass. When walking in this direction in the morning, the light makes this triangle, the shadow hitting each column in this super particular way and forming a triangle of light. Especially in the column on the left, you can see ridges in the concrete (making it more obvious that it is in fact concrete) where the column's inner support was constructed. When you're walking in the opposite direction (towards where I stood from the opposite end) in the evening, you see the same thing. I wonder if the people who designed the building designed it this way on purpose.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment